A man barricaded himself inside a home before he was forced out, arrested and accused of gunning down a Los Angeles County Sheriff’s deputy, authorities said Monday.
A SWAT team surrounded the suspect’s house in Palmdale and “family members did come out” but “the suspect chose to barricade and refused to initially come out,” Sheriff Robert Luna told reporters of the arrest in the slaying of Deputy Ryan Clinkunbroomer.
After an hours-long standoff, deputies “deployed chemical agents and the suspect ultimately surrendered,” Luna added.
The sheriff credited deputies for their patience and taking the 29-year-old suspect alive.
“Our special enforcement bureau deputies were so professional in giving the suspect adequate time to surrender peacefully,” Luna said.
“Our deputies gave this suspect an opportunity to peacefully give up. That is not the right that was afforded to our deputy three days ago out here across the street.”
A bystander called 911 after spotting the 30-year-old deputy unconscious in his car at 6 p.m. Saturday in the Southern California suburb of Palmdale, officials said.
Clinkunbroomer was rushed to the hospital but could not be revived.
Investigators said Sunday they were looking for a car — a dark-colored 2006 to 2012 Toyota Corolla — that was seen near Clinkunbroomer’s vehicle just before the shooting.

Clinkunbroomer had just left the station when he was discovered near the intersection of Sierra Highway and Avenue Q, which is about 60 miles north of downtown Los Angeles, officials said.
Law enforcement officials familiar with the investigation said Sunday that a video clip that shows a car pulling alongside the patrol car before it speeds away is a focus in the investigation.
Clinkunbroomer was a well regarded deputy and had been working as a field training officer for the past 1 1/2 years, officials said.
Read the full article here